Virgin Media Reviews & Ratings
We have reviews and ratings from 9 verified customers of Virgin broadband.
We surveyed new customers 60 to 120 days after switching to Virgin - here's what they told us:
Installation within a week, no glitches with speed or signal. Engineer explained everything at visit which didn't take him long - very efficient and polite, good value for money. Glad I swapped to Virgin - should have done it sooner.
Virgin media service is amazing - beats any other provider! My internet is so much faster and more reliable. Very happy.
Installation easy and service fine so far. Like all broadband I feel it is overpriced, but it's good for the money compared to others. So far so good.
Satisfaction and Value for Money
- Users gave Virgin 8.6/10 for overall satisfaction, and rated them 8.4/10 on value for money.
- When asked why they chose Virgin broadband, 44% said that they offered the most cost effective deal at the time.
- Other reasons customers cited were: broadband speed (33%), the provider's reputation (22%).
Switching and Initial Setup
- On average, the customers we surveyed gave Virgin a rating of 9.1/10 for handling their broadband switch.
- Most customers reported that it took less than 2 weeks from placing an order with Virgin until their new broadband was up and running.
- 22% of new Virgin users had to have a new phone line or cable installed.
- To get set up, 33% required a home visit from an engineer, with 11% needing repeat visits.
- 0% of customers surveyed told us they needed a router upgrade and 11% required additional wifi signal boosters.
Broadband Speed & Reliability
- For broadband speed, customers rated Virgin 8.7/10 on average.
- Users gave them 8.8/10 for the reliability of their broadband connection.
- 0% of people experienced issues with intermittent downtime, with 11% saying their broadband was down persistently.
- 11% of respondents told us they had a slow connection at least some of the time.
- 11% said they had a poor wifi signal in some parts of their home.
Everything you need to know about Virgin Media
Virgin Media has 5 million broadband customers in the UK.
It was founded in 2006 as a merger between NTL and Telewest and has gone on to become one of the biggest telecoms companies in the country.
It’s one of the few quad-play providers in the UK, offering broadband, phone, TV and mobile services.
You can bundle all these services into one handy package, if you’re so inclined.
Virgin installs its own cables to provide broadband. Unlike BT, Sky, TalkTalk and the rest, it doesn’t rely on using Openreach’s fibre wires to deliver internet, and so has a totally different package for users.
You’ll see Virgin broadband listed at speeds which are nice round numbers, 50Mbps, 100Mbps and 200Mbps rather than the 38Mbps or 76Mbps that other ISPs using Openreach’s network can offer.
Most Virgin broadband deals come with 12 month contracts, so they’re not as onerous as the 18 or 24 month contracts you may be locked into elsewhere.
There is the odd Virgin 30-day rolling contract but it does come with a hefty payment upfront and you will pay more on average per month for the same service.
What can you get with Virgin Media?
Virgin doesn’t do ADSL (up to 17Mbps). Its entry-level package starts at 50Mbps, which is already faster than most fibre broadband.
Inclusive weekend calls come with no extra cost for the first 12 months of many Virgin broadband deals.
Virgin does do fast broadband but it’s not fibre, it’s their own cable network.
Virgin’s VIVID deals offer four tiers of broadband at speeds up to 50Mbps, 100Mbps, 200Mbps and 300Mbps.
You can add TV to any Virgin Media broadband and phone package. They come in three flavours: Player, Mix and Full House.
Each comes with a 500GB Virgin TV V6 Tivo box, with which you can pause, rewind and record live TV.
Player TV gets you 70 channels with all the essential free-to-air entertainment and news including BBC iPlayer, ITVPlayer, Channel 4 and VEVO.
Mix offers over 150 channels and players, with more TV favourites including Sky Sports News, Sky 1, Sky Living, and Boomerang and Cartoon Network for the kids.
Full House gives you access to over 230 channels including up to 50 in HD. You get premium channels including BT Sport HD 1, 2 and 3, CBeebies, Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel, the above Sky channels as well as UK TV Gold, MTV HD, and Comedy Central HD.
Prices start from £33 a month.
Virgin Mobile is one of the largest SIM Only and contract providers in the UK, with over 4 million subscribers as of September 2017.
Virgin SIMs use the EE network for 4G data and calls, giving it coverage across 98% of the UK.
Virgin’s mobile broadband comes in both SIM Only (up to 20Mbps) and MiFi (up to 150Mbps) formats. From £4 a month for 1GB data all the way up the fastest package at 10GB data for £20 a month.