TalkTalk Reviews & Ratings
We have reviews and ratings from 17 verified customers of TalkTalk broadband.
We surveyed new customers 60 to 120 days after switching to TalkTalk - here's what they told us:
Talk Talk is a decent broadband provider, and price wise it is reasonable as well. That said, in my area the speed is not as fast as TalkTalk advertised. But for me and my kids it is alright.
I'm happy with my deal from TalkTalk. I get the advertised speed about 80% of the time, and my deal was significantly cheaper than my previous provider. My switch didn't take place on the arranged day, but TalkTalk quickly solved the problem and arranged a small refund.
The switch was fine my only problem was the router was too far from living room & wouldn't pick up the TV box they sent or my smart TV but they sent out additional plugs & so far all is well.
Satisfaction and Value for Money
- The customers we asked said they saved on average £4.74 per month by switching to TalkTalk broadband.
- Users gave TalkTalk 7.9/10 for overall satisfaction, and rated them 8.3/10 on value for money.
- When asked why they chose TalkTalk broadband, 82% said that they offered the most cost effective deal at the time.
- Other reasons customers cited were: broadband speed (18%).
Switching and Initial Setup
- On average, the customers we surveyed gave TalkTalk a rating of 8.7/10 for handling their broadband switch.
- Most customers reported that it took less than 2 weeks from placing an order with TalkTalk until their new broadband was up and running.
- 18% of new TalkTalk users had to have a new phone line or cable installed.
- To get set up, 29% required a home visit from an engineer, with 0% needing repeat visits.
- 29% of customers surveyed told us they needed a router upgrade and 18% required additional wifi signal boosters.
Broadband Speed & Reliability
- For broadband speed, customers rated TalkTalk 7.5/10 on average.
- Users gave them 8/10 for the reliability of their broadband connection.
- 29% of people experienced issues with intermittent downtime, with 12% saying their broadband was down persistently.
- 18% of respondents told us they had a slow connection at least some of the time.
- 12% said they had a poor wifi signal in some parts of their home.
Everything you need to know about TalkTalk
TalkTalk started life in Leeds in 2003 as a subsidiary of Carphone Warehouse. In 2010 it split away and became its own company.
Providing broadband, calls, TV and mobile services, TalkTalk is now headquartered in London.
What can you get?
TalkTalk’s ADSL broadband with maximum speeds of 17Mbps and an average speed of 11Mbps is aimed at the value end of the market.
Adding Anytime Calls to your broadband bundle will cost £12 a month. A full list of TalkTalk phone call prices is here.
TalkTalk has its own on-demand TV services using the Youview and Youview+ Freeview HD box.
There are two packages: TalkTalk TV and TalkTalk TV Plus.
The basic package gives you the standard Youview Freeview box with which you can pause and rewind up to 30 minutes of live TV.
You get 80 Freeview channels with 15 in HD.
The more pricey TV Plus plan gets you the upgraded Youview+ box, which allows you to pause and record 90 hours of HD content, as well as rewinding up to two hours of live TV.
You’re looking at around 150 channels in total, including premium entertainment like MTV, Sky One, Sky Two and Sky Living, as well as UK Gold and Comedy Central.
Netflix is available as an app through Youview.
One-month TV Boosts are also available. These are channel collections under the likes of Entertainment, Kids or Sports so you can try out Sky Sports for a month, or Sky Cinema, or Nickelodeon, Boomerang and Disney Channel.
TalkTalk sells the same two kinds of fibre as every other provider using Openreach: up to 38Mbps and up to 76Mbps. These, like TalkTalk’s ADSL, are aimed towards the budget-conscious customer.
Why choose TalkTalk?
If price is the single biggest factor in picking your next broadband provider then TalkTalk might work for you. Their TV Boosts offer a cheaper way to get Sky Sports or Sky Cinema on one-month contracts.